The execution of Saddam Hussein will not provide new hope in Iraq, which can only be described as is in the grip of a civil war. The footage of Hussein's death is barbaric and the fact that his death was recorded on a mobile phone camera and uploaded on the net puts it firmly in the middle of a three ringed circus - the intersection between the Shiites, the Sunnis and the Kurds, with the US ringmaster giving directions.
Some interesting comments of US citizens on the execution:
This is the biggest mistake the US has ever made. We will regret it, I am sure. I have an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach about this.
It amazed me the power of America. I strongly feel that we should go after North Korea next, then China and ultimately Russia.
I share Adria A's feeling in her stomach. 2006 was the pits when it came to peace and the nurturing of democracies in our world. I am hopeful that 2007 will be better, but maybe it has to get worse before we can restore a sense of hope. Resolution: I commit to doing more about the pit in my stomach!
2007 will be the year of:
- the environmental movement - reclaiming its position as one of the most important and well-organised movements in our history,
- micro banking - giving the poor and marginalised economic freedom,
- you tube, myspace, bebo and blogger - need I say more
- goodbye to that stupid UK look - long shorts and pantyhose at the office....eeugh!
- Russel Brand - he is such a SPUNK
- the year that John Howard will retire to pasture - by failing to win the 2007 Australian election,
- the messes created by neo-cons and our own inaction... a mia culpa? .... not likely:
There are lots of good things happening on this planet - we just have to take the time to find out who's doing them and support them! Clicking here is a good start.
Happy New Year family, friends and random bloggers.